IGUANA.bannerBflat

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Last Art Post of 2017...with Art!




Princess Leia and Chewbacca

After I finished Cry Havoc and Survivors Club (June 2016) I fell down a bit of sad hole. I thought I was just having a sad day, but then it lasted a year. And then the next year. Each passing year, there's less job offers, less emails, less Likes. No one ever says it, but success in comics is a lot about people being invested in your success. When people are invested in your success, it's a lot of fun. When they're not, it's hard. Nobody does it by themselves. If you're an artist, find an artist friend and help each other out. But be genuine. Stop trying to get ahead all the time. Be good to people...and not to get something, but just to be nice.

Next May will be my 20th Anniversary as a professional artist (and working in comics). Wow! I'm incredibly grateful to have been a pro artist for 20 years. I'm learning to be happy and grateful. I can draw and paint--which I love to do--and I have 3 healthy kids. I'm lucky. I'm learning to feel good about myself. My main struggle these past couple years has been to feel appreciated. And that's still a work in progress.

I need to be a better artist this year. That's all there is to it. That's the best medicine...Doing good work.

I hope to celebrate 20 years by doing something special (Funrama-related). I've long hoped it would be a Kickstarter, but I don't want to do a Kickstarter unless the work is 99% "In-The-Can"  (because that's the way I am.) So, maybe I'll do a Patreon. But, I'll need to hire a Patreon advisor. Someone to help me do it well.

Here are some recent color commissions. Thanks for commissioning work from me. It keeps me artistically fit. I don't run my commission business like other artists. I'm sorry, but also not sorry. It could take 2 months, 6 months, 12 months...I don't care. It's done when it's done. Commissioning a drawing from me is a gamble, but you're not betting anything. You're just making a request. You pay when it's done. You're expected to pay when it's done. I've recently had one guy bail on me and not pay. If you can't wait, don't commission me. If you're good with waiting, go ahead and make a request: funrama@gmail.com

Thanks for supporting Saucer State this year. I think it's a very special book and one of my favs.

Also, please hire me if you need a cover! I would love to get more cover jobs.

Okay! I hope you all have a happy, healthy New Year. Let's do it!!

Trapjaw
Spider-man and Black Cat
Wonder Woman
Captain Marvel Shazam
Atom Eve
Gambit
Meiko Kaji

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home